Numbers are not abstract and boring – if exciting stories are at the bottom! The MARGA business simulation offers a complex and realistic learning enviroment.
Participants of the MARGA Business Simulation manage a complex company with all its departments and functions within a team. Focussing on Financial Management, they regard all company areas from a financial perspective: marketing, production, human resources and, in particular, finance and controlling. They learn about current management tools and deepen underlying business coherences.
The teams get acquainted with a full internal and external accounting system of their company. Efficient controlling provides all the information that teams require to make well-founded operational decisions. Generate cash and secure liquidity, take into account exchange rate fluctuations and agree on payment terms. The teams adapt the company's financing to its needs.
The aim is the increase of the company value measured by the Economic Value Added, EVA.
- take the view of the controller.
- use information from controlling for well-founded decisions.
- consider competitive strategies also from the financial perspective.
- learn to read the balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement.
- optimize stocks in working capital management and reduce capital costs.
- get to know the drivers which have a positive impact on the company value.
- work with different performance indicators, such as EBITDA, EBIT, ROCE or WACC.
- weigh up entrepreneurial risks and make real decisions.
- use financial information and make substantial decisions.
- align their own product and service spectrum to the needs of customers.
- develop entrepreneurial thinking and acting.
- translate strategic decisions into operative measures.
- manage all closely interlinked company divisions and functions.
- get to know the drivers that positively influence the value of the company.
Benefits of the business simulation
Realistic market environment
A realistic and dynamic corporate environment reflects current political and economic events, which repeatedly presents new challenges to the teams.
The team with the highest company value wins the competition. The identification with their own company and the direct competition between the teams arouses emotions and enthusiasm.
The 'learning by doing' method and the repeated application of what has been learned promote the practice transfer into their own work area and result in a sustainable learning effect.
The participants train their teamwork skills and make all decisions jointly. An efficient and targeted planning and decision-making process in the team is therefore a critical success factor.
MARGA is characterized by a particularly intensive tutoring. During the self-directed online phases, the tutors also support all participants in content, organizational and technical matters.
Experts (e.g. project managers, specialists)
- Develop financial competencies
- Recognice coherences in accounting and controlling
- Understand performance measurement systems
- Identify value drivers
High Potentials (e.g. high potentials, talents)
- Anticipate the financial consequences of entrepreneurial decisions
- Align decisions to financial target systems
- Get acquainted with and strengthen the drivers of the company value
Executives (e.g. managers, senior managers)
- Synchronize entrepreneurial and financial decisions
- Align the company to financial targets
- Consequently strengthen the drivers for the company value
Dr. Christoph Heinen
Tel.: +49 2235 406 312
Business management know-how is essential to our success as a listed corporation,
Dr Roland Abt, CFO of Georg Fischer AG